2020 Golf Tournament Update
To all our Supporters, Sponsors, Donors, Golfers and Friends,
Our thoughts are with you and your loved ones during these difficult, unprecedented times. The safety and wellbeing of all who attend our golf event has been, and will always be, one of our main priorities. After thorough consideration and due to the many unknowns we continue to face together, the Sommer Foundation Board of Directors has made the difficult decision to cancel the 2020 Sommer Memorial Tournament scheduled for July 27th, 2020 at Royal Melbourne CC. We will be contacting those who have already committed to the 2020 golf event as either a sponsor or a player to discuss various options.
The Sommer Foundation Board has decided in 2020 to utilize existing Foundation funds to continue our mission of providing scholarships to deserving young adults for the 2020-2021 school year, albeit at a reduced funding level. The Sommer Board has strict financial policies, which have required us to anticipate the possibility of unknown events, which would inhibit fundraising in any given year. This advanced planning has allowed us to maintain funding when faced with a year like 2020.
The scholarship winners for 2020 are as follows:
- Steven Alton attended Barrington High School and is planning on attending Indiana University.
- Elizabeth Behnke attended Libertyville High School and will be attending DePaul University.
- Jailene Cox attended Rolling Meadows High School and is planning on attending Northern Illinois University.
- Kamika Patel attended Rolling Meadows High School and she plans on attending the University of Wisconsin at Madison.
- Samantha Planica attended Rolling Meadows High School and she plans to attend the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee.
- Emily Waddick attended Libertyville High School and she plans on attending the University of Alabama.
Each year, the golf event takes months of planning and preparation. We will now shift gears and begin planning for the 2021 Sommer Memorial Golf Event scheduled for Royal Melbourne CC on Monday, July 26, 2021. We cannot begin to thank you for your dedication and support and hope to see you all next year as we renew our annual celebration of friendship.
Due to the pandemic, students may have even a greater need for financial assistance as families struggle due to job losses. If you would like to help us provide scholarships for 2020 despite the cancellation of our main fundraising event, please consider a donation. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
We appreciate your unwavering support over the past 27 years, and we look forward to resuming our annual golf event in 2021!
The Sommer Foundation Board of Directors